Weezer, 'Pinkerton', and 'Raditude'




For a good chunk of my life I was living in Southern California and during my stay I was exposed to a little band called Weezer. If you have ever lived in Southern California, you would know that some rock bands just run through the veins of its inhabitants and the rock pop quartet is just one of many.

But when I was listening to Weezer, I was only shown their most popular songs like "Buddy Holly", "Beverly Hills", "Island In The Sun", "Say It Ain't So", and more. While those songs still reserve a special place in my heart, I only recently experienced a different side of the band that I hadn't before.

Last week I listened to Pinkerton for the first time and it changed my opinions of the band completely.

I had always wondered why so many people bashed on Weezer and their proof was Pinkerton. I finally decided that I should check it out to see if I was missing out on anything. All I can say now is that Weezer has a ridiculous amount of talent that they do not seem to be utilizing. Songs like "El Scorcho", "Across The Sea", and "No Other One" instantly joined the aforementioned songs from the band as classics.

While Pinkerton did in fact jump start the (currently stale) emo rock genre, it did it with such a strong youthful energy that it was enjoyable despite of the altogether disheartening lyrics. The album is not without its flaws of course, but I can easily say it is the best music from Weezer I have ever heard.

...which leads me to the band's newest album Raditude. Despite having a name and album cover forged from the depths of awesomeness, I am not quite sure what to expect. Raditude will definitely not be your typical Weezer album, and that can be both good and bad.

I have really enjoyed the lead single "If You're Wondering If I Want You To (I Want You To)", I am extremely divided on the song "Can't Stop Partying". For those who haven't heard, the latter song features none other than rapper Lil' Wayne. It's a bizarre mix but my main issue with the song isn't with Weezy; the rhythm just sounds so like your typical, uninspired Top 40 hit.

Weezer has had a confusing musical career that has been met with equal amounts of admiration and hatred. Pinkerton proved that the band wasn't just the usual pop rock outfit but I'm not sure if Raditude is reinforcing or disproving that. All in all? Be hesitant this Tuesday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Whether you have enjoyed what you've read or want to rant about how I'm a complete moron, express yourself in the comments section!